Wanderer (translated from German as “hiker”, “traveler”) is a German manufacturer of bicycles, motorcycles, and cars. It is one of the four German companies that formed the Auto Union concern back in 1932. Like many car factories in Germany, though, it ceased to exist in 1945. For many years, the company was engaged in postal services, sales of car spare parts, and packaging containers, but later resumed selling bikes. In fact, Wanderer bikes and cars can be found in museums. Although one might not be surprised to learn that the brand was supplying vehicles for the war, seeing the Wanderer logo on a typewriter might be unexpected.
Meaning and history
Wanderer company was established in 1896 in Germany under the name “Winklhofer & Jaenicke”, but in 1911 changed its name to “Wanderer”. The brand specialized in manufacturing bicycles, motorcycles, automobiles, and vans. The first vehicle produced by the brand was presented only in 1911.
1896 – 1911
1911 – 1920
In 1911 the logo gained the shape of the round badge. On the red background are located two connected letters “W”. Above it in a thin golden frame is located the company’s wordmark, which is also written in black italic letters.
1920 – 1932
1928 – 1930
The company used an oval shield with a thick black border that did not go all the way up but curved behind. This ribbon-like border had “Wanderer” printed on both the left and the right side. The designers used contrasting white and all uppercase, sans-serif letters. The oval base had pointed ends and a double border. The inside had a white and green checker pattern. This was the first time the company introduced the green. Later, it was used in a logo presented in 2010.
1930 – 1932
The previous logo was not used by the company for a very long time and it brought back the black, winged “W”. The inscription underneath no longer featured a brand name, as it did back in the 20s, but had a black ribbon with “Automobile” printed on it. The font choice was rather simple with sans-serif letters and thin strokes.
1932 – 1945
The new logo was used by four brands at once. It consisted of four rings with each containing one logo. The first one was Audi, followed by DKW, Horch, and finally Warderer. These companies created an Auto Union AG.
2010 – present
When the brand was brought back to life, they used the familiar “W” symbol, slightly adjusting its look. Underneath, the emblem had “Wanderer-Werke AG” printed in traditional bold sans-serif letters that were closely spaced apart to avoid having the logo look too long. The whole logo was done in a grassy green that symbolized the new life of a well-known brand and its goal to grow and develop.
Emblem and Symbol
For more than a hundred years of its existence, the company, like its logo, has gone through many changes. However, the fact that in its revival the brand has returned to its past logo means that it is proud of its rich history and will continue to delight customers with top-quality German products.